About Mugairyu

    The establisment of what is practiced today as Iaido is widely credited to Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu (1542-1621). From this point, the continuing succession of his followers gave rise to the many different schools of Iaido. Although Mugai-ryu was founded by Tsuji Gettan Sukemochi (1649-1727) as a school of Kenjutsu, it is known today as a school of Iaido.  The relationship between Mugai ryu Kenjutsu and Iai began when Tsuji Gettan learnt Jikyo-ryu Iai from its founder, Taga Jikyoken Morimasaand had his pupils do the same. However, it is usually said that Jikyo-ryu was not adopted by Mugai ryu Kenjutsu until the late 18th Century.

The founder of Mugai ryu, Tsuji Gettan was born in 1649, in the Miya-mura-aza village area of MasugiKōga-gun district of Ōmi (modern day Shiga Prefecture.) At age 13, he left the village for Kyoto to study Yamaguchi-ryū swordsmanship under Yamaguchi Bokushinsai Morimasa, and at the age of 26, after receiving Menkyo Kaiden, a teaching license, made straight for Edo (modern day Tokyo) to further hone his skills.

He then opened and taught at a Yamaguchi-ryu Dojo in Edo  Koishikawa. With strong thoughts of mastering the way”, He soon went to the Kyūkōji temple in Azabu Sakurada-cho in order to study Zen and Classical Chinese literature under Zen monk Sekitan Ryouzen. At the age of 45, he reached enlightenment and received from his Zen teacher a formal poem taken from the Buddhist scriptures as an acknowledgment and proof of his accomplishment. As the name of Tsuji Gettan became known far and widehis pupils grew in number. Of these students, Ogasawara NagashigeSakai Tadataka and Yamanouchi Toyomasa became feudal lords, and entrusted Tsuji Gettan with the care of thousands of students.

Tsuji Gettan Sukemochi was unmarried, and devoted his whole life to the pursuit of Kenjutsu and Zen until falling ill at the age of 79, and finally passing away on June the 23rd1727. He was buried in the Nyorai-ji Temple, Shiba-Takanawa (modern day Shinagawa.)

     Following his deaththrough his grandnephew Tsuji Uheitaand his adopted son, Tsuji Kimata, Mugai-ryu became taught all over Japan, particularly in the Tosa Domain and the Himeji Domain (modern day Shikoku and Hyogo Prefecture respectively) At this time, the successors of Mugai-ryu also inherited Jikyo-ryu Iai from the Kenjutsu instructors of the Sakai family in the Himeji domain, the Takahashi Clan.

     Takahashi Kyutaro Koun, born in July of 1879, learned Mugai-ryu HyohouJikyo-ryu Iai and Tsudaichiden-ryu Kenjutsu from his father, the famous Kenjutsu instructor Takahashi Takenari Tetsuo. In 1887, he was employed as the Metropolitan Police Forces dedicated Kenjutsu master. Takahashi Kyutaro Koun, Tosa Mugai-Ryus Kawsaki Zenzaburo  and Takano Sasaburo of Nakanishi-ha Itto-ryu were then collectively known as the Metropolitan Police ForceThree Prodigy Sons of Kenjutsu.

In 1903, Takahashi Kyutaro became the first ever Kenjutsu instructor of the Kobe High Commercial School (Modern day Kobe University) while also holding the position of chief instructor at the Hyogo Butokukai. However, after he met Nakagawa Shinichi, a former student of Kobe Daiichi Junior High School and Hyogo Prefectural Kobe High SchoolNakagawa enrolled in Kobe High Commercial School and took over Takahashis duties as full-time instructor.

   Nakagawa Shinichi Shiryu then inherited the Kata of Mugai-ryu Hyoho(Kenjutsu)” and Mugai-ryu Iai  from Takahashi Kyutaro, and compiled the two to establish a new form, giving it the name Mugai Shinden Mugai-ryu Iai Hyodo.

Without appointing a direct successorNakagawa Shinichi Shiryu passed away on the 2nd of January 1981 at the age of 86.

 He was then jointly succeeded by six individuals who received Menkyo Kaiden Scrolls (scrolls containing all the hidden mysteries of Mugai-ryu) from him. Due to the passing of the other five individuals entrusted with the Menkyo Kaiden, Konishi Misakazu Ryuoh is currently the legitimiate 16th soke of Mugai Shinden Mugairyu Iaihyodo.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Japanese script 原文無外流とは  

居合道の起源は戦国時代から江戸初期の剣客で居合道の始祖といわれている林崎甚助重信が確立したといわれています。居合道は、その門人たちに受け継がれ様々な流派が生まれました。辻月丹が創始した無外流は剣術の流派ですが、今日無外流と言えば居合の流派として知られています。無外流剣術と居合との関わりは、通説では辻月丹が自鏡流居合の祖、多賀自鏡軒盛政から自鏡流居合を学び、弟子たちにも学ばせたのが始まりとされていますが、本格的に無外流剣術に自鏡流居合が併伝されるのは、それよりずっと後寬政年間ということになります。

 無外流流祖・辻無外は、慶安二年(1649)に、近江国甲賀郡宮村字馬杉に生まれ、寛文元年(1661)、13歳で京都に出て山口流剣術の師、山口卜眞斎のもとで剣術を学びました。延寶二年(167426歳の時、師卜眞齋から免許を受けますが、更に技を磨くことを願い、師の許しを得て江戸へ下ります。山口流の道場を開き教授していましたが、究道の思いが強く、麻布吸光寺の石潭禅師に師事して禅学と中国の古典を学びました。元禄六年(1693)45歳の時忽然として悟りを開き、石潭禅師から「一法實無外 乾坤得一貞 吹毛方納密 動着則光清」の偈を授けられました。 辻月丹の人格技術が広く知られるようになると入門者が相次ぎ、その弟子には小笠原佐渡守長重、厩橋の藩主・酒井勘解由忠挙、土佐藩主・山内豊昌等の大名を始め、千名を超える門人を抱えました。一生妻を娶らず剣術と禅学に精進した月丹は、79歳の時に病を得て、享保十二年(1727)六月二十三日にその生涯を閉じ、芝高輪の如来寺(現在は品川区)に葬られました。辻月丹の人格技術が広く知られるようになると入門者が相次ぎ、小笠原佐渡守長重、厩橋の藩主・酒井勘解由忠挙、土佐藩主・山内豊昌等の大名を始め、千名を超える門人を抱えました。一生妻を娶らず剣術と禅学に精進した月丹は、79歳の時に病を得て、享保十二年(1727)六月二十三日にその生涯を閉じ、芝高輪の如来寺(現在は品川区)に葬られました。

 辻月丹の死後、甥孫の辻右平太や養子の都治記摩多によって姫路藩や土佐藩など全国諸藩にに伝えられます。姫路藩酒井家では剣術指南役であった高橋家に自鏡流居合術とともに継承され明治維新を迎えます。

 安政六年(1859)7月に姫路に生まれた高橋赳太郎高運は、姫路藩剣術指南役であった父・高橋哲夫武成から無外流兵法、自鏡流居合、津田一伝流剣術を学び、明治20年(1887)、警視庁撃剣世話掛に採用され、土佐無外流・川崎善三郎、中西派一刀流・高野佐三郎も採用され、後に警視庁撃剣世話掛の「三郎三傑」と呼ばれることになります。

明治36年(1903)に、神戸高等商業学校(神戸大学法・経済・経営学部の前身)の初代撃剣師範となり、また兵庫武徳会の主任教師を兼任しますが、兵庫武徳会で神戸一中(現・県立神戸高校)の学生だった中川申一と出会い、中川申一が神戸高商に進学すると、本格的に無外流兵法を教授しました。

中川士龍申一は、高橋赳太郎から継承した『無外流兵法(剣術)』『無外流居合』の形を再編纂し、体系立ててこれを『無外眞傳無外流居合兵道』と名付けました。

 

 昭和56年(1981)12日、中川士龍申一は次代の継承を語ることなく86歳で生涯を終えました。その後中川宗家から「免許皆伝」の巻物を伝授された6名が伝授された順に宗家を継承しました。5名はすでに他界し、現在は最後の免許皆伝受領者である小西御佐一龍翁が、無外真伝無外流居合兵道の 正統第16代宗家を継承しています。